Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Two "Rock Docs" You've Gotta See!

Over the summer, I saw several great documentaries recently released on DVD. You must rent or buy these asap - it's the punk thing to do!

"Joy Division (The Miriam Collection)" directed by Grant Gee. If you choose to watch the Ian Curtis biopic "Control" released by the same company, make sure you watch the documentary first! This great and short-lived post-punk band finally gets the historical treatment they deserve.

"The Future Is Unwritten - Joe Strummer" directed by Julien Temple, who previously directed the Sex Pistols documentary "The Filth And The Fury." I've always loved the Clash, but I never realized what an incredible person Joe Strummer really was. This documentary never pulls any punches, showing Strummer at his best and worst, but I admired him even more after watching it. Highly recommended!
Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: Two "Rock Docs" You've Gotta See!Add To Yahoo

1 comment:

Kameron said...

These documentaries both sound interesting, especially the Strummer one. Sometimes it feels like I learned more from The Clash than from my teachers in high school. Strummer and The Clash hipped me to Spanish Civil War ("Spanish Bombs"), Allen Ginsburg ("Ghetto Defendant"), Montgomery Clift ("The Right Profile"), reggae singer Dillinger ("White Man In Hammersmith Palais"), Friedrich Engels ("The Magnificent Seven") and Lee Perry, who produced "Complete Control." And that list's off the top of my head! So the Strummer doc's a must see, thanks for writing about it.

Post a Comment