Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Loudness Wars: The Debate Continues

I have commented before on the modern propensity to over-compress recordings, something which I am guilty of as well. My friend @mattsearles posted this on Twitter yesterday. I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but the written post summarizes a discussion with some notable producers and mixing engineers, in which they share their thoughts on this phenomenon.



Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: The Loudness Wars: The Debate ContinuesAdd To Yahoo

1 comment:

Nick Marques said...

In a somewhat related blog post I did almost 2 years ago, I came to two scenarios about the 'plague' of crappy sound quality (lossy MP3s vs lossless audio):

1. 'Johnny' who is 12 years old and has only ever listened to MP3s and has never purchased a CD hears a concert Blu-ray with 24-bit/192kHz lossless audio and is so blown away by the difference in sound quality, that he wipes his music collection and starts buying music to rip lossless.

2. 'Johnny' has only ever listened to lossy audio and radio, so he has no appreciation for high quality sound because his ears aren't 'tuned' for it. He begins loosing his ability to hear higher frequencies in music and so when these frequencies are heard, they are perceived as painful, harsh, or loud.

Post a Comment