Saturday, September 23, 2006

Happy Birthday John Coltrane

Today (Sept. 23) is John Coltrane’s birthday. Born in 1926, he would have been 80 years old. I think everyone would agree that Coltrane was one of the greatest and most influential artist/composers of the 20th Century. Even if you are not a jazz musician and have never heard his music, Coltrane most likely influenced somebody who influenced you!

So take a moment today, put on one of his records if you have any, and reflect on the impact John Coltrane has had on the world. Happy birthday, ‘Trane. We miss you!
Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: Happy Birthday John ColtraneAdd To Yahoo

3 comments:

ANNA-LYS said...

Happy Birthday
and R.I.P.
Trane

Ben Makinen said...

John Coltrane's Live In Birdland is the first recording of Trane I ever heard. I found it in my dad's record collection 25 years ago as a sophomore in high school. It forever changed my life. In an instant I had found not only a musical guru but a spiritual teacher as well. I have spent the rest of my life trying to play drums the way Trane played sax: hell bent on discovering truth and setting it free... I don't miss you John Coltrane because I have never lost you, Happy Birthday...

fjl said...

For sure! Well said.

Post a Comment