Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Geek Credentials

So, I feel like I established my geek credentials early in life. I started wearing glasses in the 4th grade, and started playing trombone in the 5th grade. I voraciously read Marvel comics and science fiction novels, used words like "voraciously" in everyday conversation, saw every episode of the original Star Trek series multiple times, saw the first 3 Star Wars films multiple times in the theaters, played D&D, learned to program in Basic on an Apple II, etc. all before I graduated from high school.

Alright, so the third Star Wars film came out after I graduated from high school, but here's my point: Now that it's "cool" to be a geek, it's a bit annoying when I see someone I know was a jock in high school pretending they were a geek all along. I'm just saying....
Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: Geek CredentialsAdd To Yahoo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I had to beg my parents for years before they finally broke down and bought an Apple Classic II. That thing was an oversized toaster, but dang it was cool. Before that, I had learned to program in basic on someone else's computer, became way too large of a fan of Jurassic Park, and read all that my dated set of World Book Encyclopedias had to say about rockets and nuclear fission. While I've been blessed with trouble-free vision, I didn't learn how to dress myself half-respectably until like junior year of college.

Oh... and I was in a programming gang with my friends that met in a White Castle. We called it "CodeCrave." 'Nuff said.

I haven't run across a jock trying to be a nerd yet, but I am thankful that its kinda retro and cool now, for my own sake.

Anonymous said...

yeah, back when I was building computers and hacking together live audio equipment in high school... I remember my sophomore year of high school using the brand spanking new iMac (with OS 9) and thinking... "I know I'm supposed to hate macs because because I'm a PC guy... but these things are cool." Now everyone gets cool/geek points for having a mac!

I was never a coder - I went hardware at an early age :) - Overclocking, modding, massive cooling machines... I had boxes of old cards and probably three 386s, two 486s and a pentium 133 that I had used to piece together a tower that would run Red Hat 6. ah the good 'ol days.

Jason @ PSB said...

LOL

10 ? Good Blog
20 Goto 10
Run

-Jason@PSB

Post a Comment