Thursday, April 17, 2008

Stay In Your Box!

I have always assumed that artists were much more willing to think "outside the box" than the rest of the world. However, I have come to realize that many of us have our respective boxes that imprison us, and the arts are certainly not immune. In fact, arts education seems to be a bit more prone to traditionalism, and music is often the worst offender. This is unfortunate, because if we need bold, out-of-the-box thinking anywhere, it is in education.

I saw this growing up, as the son of a music educator who often got in trouble for thinking too far outside of the box. However, I had always assumed that my generation would be the one to change things. Maybe some things never change.....
Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: Stay In Your Box!Add To Yahoo

2 comments:

Post a Comment