Thursday, April 17, 2008

Stay In Your Box!

I have always assumed that artists were much more willing to think "outside the box" than the rest of the world. However, I have come to realize that many of us have our respective boxes that imprison us, and the arts are certainly not immune. In fact, arts education seems to be a bit more prone to traditionalism, and music is often the worst offender. This is unfortunate, because if we need bold, out-of-the-box thinking anywhere, it is in education.

I saw this growing up, as the son of a music educator who often got in trouble for thinking too far outside of the box. However, I had always assumed that my generation would be the one to change things. Maybe some things never change.....
Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: Stay In Your Box!Add To Yahoo

2 comments:

Jason @ PSB said...

Personally, I have come to the conclusion that no matter how far "out of the box" you are, someone else's box is always bigger. One of my managers is big into the "don't be afraid to think outside of the box" or "be creative with this," usually as in find a way to clean this mess up, take care of all this freight, and merchandise it in a way to make it look good, all at the same time. It's fun, but at the same time, no matter how far I seem to push it, he always comes back with another way to go even further. His experience in different markets and much bigger stores (a store manager in both the east and west coasts) makes his box much bigger than mine.

Kameron said...

I suspect part of education's pervasive get-back-in-the-box! mentality comes from the massive amounts of money involved: when millions of dollars are on the line, people are more reluctant to try new things that might not work.

Post a Comment