Friday, December 12, 2008

2008 Pitchfork Readers Poll Is Out!

I did not pay much attention to mainstream music this year, for reasons I will discuss in a future posting. (Of course, when I say "mainstream," I also mean indie labels, which have, in effect, become a mainstream phenomena.) Therefore, you will see no "best of 2008" lists on my blog.

Instead, I would like to direct your attention to Pitchfork's annual reader's poll. If you listen to indie music, you should bookmark Pitchfork and visit it daily. And don't be scared of the name; It has nothing to do with Satan or farming!

2008 Pitchfork Readers Poll | Pitchfork
Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: 2008 Pitchfork Readers Poll Is Out!Add To Yahoo

2 comments:

Kevin Reeves said...

So I took a cursery listen to the top 3 artists on this list via emusic. I guess I just don't get it. While some of the underlying textures of the songs are amazingly creative, 2 things remain. The performances are bad and the songs are unmemorable. Am I unhip? Am I too old? Am I out of touch? Way further down the list was Girl Talk, who is an amazing mashup artist, but even some of his stuff is suspect. I've listened to "All Songs Considered" over the past few months and I'm left with the same empty feeling. I don't feel represented as a fan. Maybe that's because I don't hang out in the same coffee shop or watch the same trendy underground film. Does this make sense? It's as if the underground sceen has turned itself into a trendmongering machine just like it's aboveground counterparts. This just furthers my disalusionment in the music business. It totally makes me want to just release a record every couple of years and give it away for free. No cd baby, no itunes, no nothin, just an html link to a zip file for whoever the hell wants it. What's the point. You work hard to put out a record and then look at the top 10 best independant albums and hear this? I'm confused. I don't get it. End of rant.

Unknown said...

I agree, Kevin, which is why this year I listened mostly to true indie music by unsigned artists. I feel like that is where the real musical innovation is happening.

Post a Comment