Monday, December 22, 2008

Good News in These Bad Times

I was listening to NPR this afternoon, and they were talking about retailers and the troubles they are having in the current economic climate. A gentleman from St. Louis who owns an independent record store called in and said that he has seen a 20% increase in sales this holiday season. He also said this included vinyl and CD's, as well as DVD's.

As many of you know, I have long sung the praises of mom-and-pop record stores. In fact, I credit them for much of my own musical education. I have been pleasantly surprised lately to see that, while many of the big chains have gone under, the indie stores have been able to survive.

To hear this particular story really warms my heart, especially since I used to frequent all of the St. Louis indie record shops, and I think I can guess which one it is (he didn't say.) I also know that many of my friends who still live in St. Louis also frequent those shops, and I know at least several who buy plenty of vinyl (yes, I'm talking about you, Jason, among others!)

So, I say a hearty "thank you" to my STL friends for supporting local music retailers, and I urge everyone around the country to do so as well!
Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Facebook I'm reading: Good News in These Bad TimesAdd To Yahoo

1 comment:

Jason @ PSB said...

Euclid, maybe? Possibly Record Exchange? I doubt it was Vintage, though, I've heard some rumors about them. Don't know though, you know how rumors are. All I know is that we're blessed in STL to have three great shops like this. I know there's others, but those are the big three for me. I just wish I had more money for records, I haven't been out shoppin' in a couple months. :(

Post a Comment